How you'll make a difference
We believe good engineering solutions make a positive contribution to the delivery of major highways and public transport schemes in South Gloucestershire, typical schemes range from pedestrian and cycle route improvements to major road widening for bus lanes and major junction improvements at existing traffic signals junctions and roundabouts.
Working alongside professional colleagues in the Place Operations Design Team, you will be responsible for the delivery of the scheme designs from conception through to construction completion, the procurement and management of consultants to undertake specific engineering tasks and liaise with key stakeholders such as local councillors and public transport operators to facilitate delivery.
What will you be doing?
- You will implement and supervise the design of major highways and junction improvement schemes including drainage design, liaising with in-house teams as part of the design process to obtain designs for street furniture such as street lighting and traffic signals and monitor scheme budgets.
- A key part of the role will be the preparation of construction information, including relevant Health and Safety documents in accordance with the CDM Regulations in order for works to be implemented by our in-house contractor.
- In the role you will be carrying out consultation, liaising with members of the public, councillors and others as well as our Legal Section to advertise Traffic Regulation Orders and preparing objection reports for presentation to the Director of Environment and Community Services;
- You will gain support and work closely with the Senior Engineers but you will be responsible for delegating tasks to junior members of staff, supervise the delivery and contribute to the setting of team objectives.
What we need from you
- It is essential that you are educated to degree standard or equivalent and have a professional qualification in an appropriate discipline.
- You will have considerable relevant experience and Chartered or Incorporated Membership of an appropriate Institution. (In exceptional circumstances, the qualification requirements may be waived if considerable relevant experience and personal capabilities can been demonstrated)
- You must have a good knowledge of the relevant sections of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, a thorough knowledge of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions and have previous experience of providing design input during the construction phase.
- It is key that you have previous experience of managing and monitoring your own scheme budgets and programmes You will have a good knowledge of the relevant Health and Safety legislation including the CDM Regulations;
- It is crucial that you have excellent customer service skills and a strong customer focus in your ability to deal with internal and external stakeholders and have previous experience of delegating tasks and supervising junior technicians and graduates.
- Experience in writing reports and presenting them to appropriate audiences such as senior management teams and Councillors, with a good attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate, error free work.
- You should hold a full and current driving licence and have your own transport to enable you to visit sites around South Gloucestershire.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
We invest in the careers of our people and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps our people make the greatest long-term difference in their work.
What’s special here is the strength of the team ethos, the support and the training.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're planning for the future; building and improving the roads, railways, schools, green spaces, and houses.
- We’re providing essential services across our communities to ensure they are safe and well maintained.
We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We're making a difference, be part of it!
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.