How you'll make a difference
We believe good engineering solutions make a positive contribution to the delivery of traffic schemes in South Gloucestershire and you will have the opportunity to design and deliver on minor signing and lining schemes, carrying out investigation work and preparing outline designs. In the role you will also receive and respond to requests on a wide range of traffic issues from members of the public, parish councils, local councillors and MPs as well as meeting with them on site.
What will you be doing?
- You will design and deliver on minor traffic schemes, liaising with in-house teams as part of the design process and carry out investigation work and prepare outline designs for future schemes.
- In the role you will receive and respond to requests on a wide range of traffic issues from members of the public, parish councils, local councillors and MPs as well as meeting with them on site.
- You will undertake assessments, outline detail design, implement and monitor programmes and specific schemes.
- On a daily basis you will offer expert technical advice and guidance on technical aspects of the role You will ensure that the Council meets it obligations in law and provides an environment that is safe and efficient while considering conserving and enhancing the environment.
- A key part of the role will be to prepare and present reports and technical briefing papers that support proposed asset and service provision solutions.
- It is essential that you establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, both external and internal
- What we need from you
- You will be educated to degree level or equivalent in an appropriate discipline, you will have considerable relevant experience.
- We require you to have a good knowledge of the relevant sections of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, a thorough knowledge of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions and the Traffic Signs Manual and have previous experience of providing design input during the construction phase.
- It is essential that you have a number of years of experience as a Traffic Engineer, be particularly adept at responding to correspondence as well as being able to use AutoCAD.
- It is crucial that you have excellent customer service skills and a strong customer focus in your ability to deal with internal and external stakeholders
- You must have experience in writing reports and presenting them to appropriate audiences such as senior management teams and Councillors, with a good attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate, error free work.
- It is essential that you hold a full and current driving licence to enable you to visit sites around South Gloucestershire.
- How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We invest in the careers of our people and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps our people make the greatest long-term difference in their work.
- What’s special here is the strength of the team ethos, the support and the training.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're planning for the future; building and improving the roads, railways, schools, green spaces, and houses.
- We’re providing essential services across our communities to ensure they are safe and well maintained.
We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We're making a difference, be part of it!
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.