This is a unique opportunity to join a newly formed unitary authority which is mobilising a new highways contract. We are forming a new highways and transport team for West Northamptonshire Council and are looking for experienced professionals to help lead the team, shape and deliver our vision and ambition.
As we’re a new council, you will have the rare opportunity of being there at the start; to stamp your own mark creating a best practice service and developing a team.
We are now looking to recruit a number of talented, motivated and innovative individuals who are excited by the opportunity to be part of this exciting future in our Highways and Transport team.
The Highways and Transport team look after a diverse range of activities with the common objective of keeping people moving around West Northamptonshire. We have recently procured a new contractor who repairs our roads, we ensure new development within the area with appropriate accompanying infrastructure and ensure that any new roads and highway improvements are designed and built to the Council’s standards, we consider public transport requirements and connectivity, we help transport children to school and, to help deliver the Council’s sustainability agenda we encourage and enable our residents to travel ‘actively’ by walking, cycling or using e-scooters.
As Highways Network Manager, you’ll lead a team which will ensure the Council meets its statutory duties and responsibilities related to the Traffic Management Act and the New Roads and Street Works Act, including:
• Controlling works on and the use of the highway network,
• Highway enforcement and regulation, parking services,
• Management of the rights of way, and
• The community liaison team.
Your team will ensure the highway remains safe and available to use for all our residents and the travelling public.
Sustainability is a key focus for West Northamptonshire Council, and we have made a pledge to reduce carbon emissions.
The vacancies within the team have arisen due to investment in the team to ensure we have the right blend of skills and capacity to manage the diverse range of services within the highways and transport team. You will be joining us as we embrace hybrid working and establish a positive culture.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees including:
• 27 days annual leave per year (pro rata for part time employees), plus bank holidays, increasing to 32 after 5 years’ continuous service.
• Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
• Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
• Cycle to Work scheme.
• Employee Assistance Programme - We have a free “Employee Assistance Programme” run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
• Ongoing training and development opportunities
If you are interested please contact Nick.Henstock@WestNorthants.gov.uk for any further information or if you have any questions about the vacancy.
Please note, the council is in the process of implementing a new pay structure and terms and conditions which will be applicable to this role. The outcome could result in a future variation to the advertised salary, and this will be discussed at interview.