Planning Strategy & Implementation Manager
Permanent, Full Time
£57,621 to £61,410 per annum
Closing Date: 31st July 2022
Essex County Council (ECC) are delighted to be supporting Basildon Council to recruit this Planning Strategy & Implementation Manager.
This Planning Strategy & Implementation Manager is a key role within the organisation and provides support to the Head of Planning. The main focus of the role is taking responsibility for all aspects of the Planning Strategy and Implementation Team. This includes delivering a new Local Plan (and supplementary planning documents), alongside the work of the Association of South Essex Authorities and the Essex 2050 Plan. Plus, other workstreams from these projects.
You will be accountable for project management in respect of the Councils development plan processes. Also taking responsibility for identifying and verifying benefits from the development plan and future strategic plans, projects and programmes as directed.
Several projects will be underway at any given time and the added value of these projects to the Borough will range from a few thousand to tens of millions of pounds. You must be adaptable to the needs of both the Development Plan and the Growth Agenda of the Borough.
To be successful in this role you will have extensive experience in a planning policy environment including evidence of being able to provide high level professional advice in a corporate setting.
A proven track record of project, resource and people management including evidence of effective management of individual performance is required. Alongside clear evidence of effective financial management and commercial acumen with demonstrable evidence of having successfully participated in complex change programmes and projects.
1. Work collaboratively with the Head of Service and the Service Management Team to develop and deliver the Council's corporate vision, alongside strategic objectives leading to the delivery and implementation of an up to date development plan; including wider strategic plan objectives, projects and programmes. Ensuring the long term improvement and sustainable development of the organisation and the wider Essex group of authorities.
2. This role will ensure capacity to support the delivery of the development plan and other projects and programmes in particular with regard to the Councils Growth Agenda.
3. The post will provide technical and financial advice and guidance for the delivery of the Development Plan, and ongoing projects and programmes, and in particular to commercial re-development and regeneration of the Borough. Making positive and proactive contributions to the development of corporate policies and strategies from within the Planning service, across the Council and the wider South Essex and Essex groupings of authorities.
1. Deliver professional/managerial expertise advice with regard to the planning aspects of programmes and projects under the remit of the Head of Service. In particular to ensure compliance with statutory, regulatory and best practice requirements and guidelines.
2. The postholder will lead and manage the work of the Planning Strategy and Implementation Team to ensure the efficient operation of the service in accordance with statutory and legislative requirements and the corporate objectives of the council (including budgets). This includes managing the delivery of work to Housing Services.
3. To be responsible for leading the preparation, review and delivery of all aspects of the development plan, associated guidance and other planning implementation requirements, including developer contributions and CIL, in accordance with statutory requirements, national planning policy and guidance, and relevant corporate policies.
4. To carry out negotiations with developers with regard to the policy and financial aspect of developments including contractual arrangements such as quotes, financial processes and reviews to ensure development site viability, sustainability and deliverability.
5. Promoting the council's aims and objectives, engaging with key partners, stakeholders and staff at all levels to promote understanding of the Council's corporate objectives.
6. To complete external funding applications, bid submissions etc in response to opportunities to secure third party funding for projects or activities under the remit of the Head of Service. External funding opportunities could be for several millions of pounds. This will include providing financial management advice for programmes and projects under the remit of the Head of Service.
7. The postholder working with the Head of Service will seek to promote excellent performance management and support corporate change and continuous improvement initiatives, finding innovative, affordable and sustainable solutions to improve the Services performance and develop the organisation.
8. To be responsible for information relating to budget management in respect of the Planning Strategy and Implementation Team, including financial reviewing and reporting processes. This includes monitoring Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and S106 income and ensuring it is spent in accordance with infrastructure priorities, with regular review and reporting.
9. Working with the Head of Service on any reviews required by the Council in relation to Planning and/or other services as requested. Implement any recommendations for improving the service arising from such reviews.
10. To attend meetings with internal and external stakeholders including as a representative of the Head of Service as required.
Why choose Basildon Council?
As an employer of choice we offer a range of employment benefits that include a contributory pension scheme, a minimum of 25 days annual leave, flexible hybrid working, free car parking and excellent training opportunities.
Basildon Borough Council is one of the largest local authorities in the East of England region and serves a population of approximately 172,000 people. The town of Basildon is regarded as a key economic hub with the main areas of employment being engineering, research and development, distribution and financial services. Basildon is also the second biggest economy in the Thames Gateway, outside of Canary Wharf.
Basildon Council is leading ambitious and dynamic regeneration programmes including multi-million pound redevelopment plans for Basildon town centre, as well as a major regeneration of the surrounding housing estates and the local retail centres of Pitsea and Laindon and Wickford Town Centre.
Working for Basildon Borough Council means making a practical and positive difference to the lives of people living and working in the Borough and provides a fulfilling career.
Each of our employees - whatever job role they are undertaking - can feel motivated by having a unique opportunity to use their skills to make Basildon a better place to live. Whether it is conserving our countryside, by regenerating our Borough, by housing our residents or by collecting the refuse on time.
Visit our website to read more about what we offer our residents, visitors, businesses and employees.
What should you do next?
Apply directly on the Working For Essex website
Please Note - Essex County Council is advertising this role on behalf of Basildon Council and if successful you will be employed by Basildon Council
Please contact for more information.