Derbyshire County Council is responsible for 3500 miles of roads plus nearly 3000 miles of footways and maintaining this large network is both essential and challenging. We are looking for an enthusiastic, customer focused person to join a team of dedicated professionals responsible for identifying and delivering projects to improve and maintain these vital assets.
This is an exciting time to join our in-house Highways Service as we move onto the delivery phase of our Future Highways Model which is designed to ensure we’re paving the way for new and innovative approaches to delivering our services and shows the commitment to our in-house teams.
As part of this small team you will ensure projects provide high quality results and value for money whilst minimising disruption to the travelling public and residents. You will apply asset management principles in supporting the delivery of programmes of work which primarily include reconstruction, resurfacing and surface treatments
What will I be doing?
- Support the Project Engineer and Senior Technician in managing a variety of highway maintenance projects and programmes.
- Contribute information required to commission works.
- Assist colleagues across the service to ensure works are co-ordinated, well planned and carried out efficiently.
- Monitor and report progress – quality, financial and timeliness.
- Site based surveys.
- Providing information and responding to customer enquiries.
What skills and experience do I need to have?
- Vocational qualification or similar or significant relevant experience
- Technical and problem solving skills.
- Understanding and experience of highway construction and maintenance.
- Ability to identify of the risks associated with highway maintenance activities.
- Ability to contribute to the production of accurate and precise records.
- Customer care skills dealing with the public, Members and other stakeholders.
Please take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail
You will work closely with other Services within the Highways Division to continually develop service improvement and efficiencies whilst embracing new technologies and best working practises.
We offer a friendly and supportive working environment, a variety of Derbyshire based work, flexible working hours and the opportunity to develop yourself and your career.
Benefits of working for us include:
- Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous leave and flexi leave schemes
- Commitment to your continuing professional development and ongoing training opportunities
- Occupational Health service
- Physiotherapy Service
- An in-house counselling service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discount on leisure centre memberships
If you would prefer to submit a standard application form, you can download one here and upload this instead of your CV.
For more information on other vacancies in our Highways team, the wonderful work we do and the benefits we can offer simply visit; www.derbyshire.gov.uk/highwaysjobs
Should you wish to discuss this opportunity, then please contact Mark Wright on 07776 166633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Provisional Interview Dates: Wednesday 25th May 2022