The Structures Design Team provides the professional services to design and manage the delivery of a wide range of highway structures schemes including maintenance, improvements, replacements, and new build.
These positions provide an exciting opportunity to develop how Derbyshire’s highway network is managed and developed in the future, as part of the Council’s “Future Highways Model” programme.
You will be primarily involved in supporting the Project Engineer to deliver the design services and providing technical advice on all aspects of structural design, management and maintenance in accordance with the Management of Highway Structures – A Code of Practice.
You will be joining a team of eager and ambitious technicians and engineers and have a manager who is supportive and keen to facilitate your development.
What projects will I be involved with?
- A wide variety of structures maintenance and improvement schemes
- Provision of new structures as part of Major Projects
- Structures include bridges, retaining walls and culverts
What skills and experience do I need to have?
- BTec Higher in Civil Engineering or similar qualification with relevant post qualification experience.
- Technical and practical problem solving skills relative to bridges and other highway structures.
- Management and maintenance of highway structures in accordance with the Code of Practice requirements.
- Ability to use effective communication to negotiate and persuade to improve team performance
- Ability to control and manage budgets (works and fees)
- Ability to identify and develop future structures schemes
- Knowledge of the engineering processes central to highway structure management
These lists are not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail (this role is known internally as Senior Technician – Structures Design).
You will work closely with other Services within the Highways Division to continually develop service improvement and efficiencies whilst embracing new technologies and best working practices.
We offer a friendly and supportive working environment, a variety of Derbyshire based work, flexible working hours and the opportunity to develop yourself and your career.
What we offer you:
- Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme
- 27 days of annual leave plus another 5 once you reach 5 years of continuous service
- Flexi time, allowing up to an additional 2 days of leave per month
- Occupational Health service
- Physiotherapy Service
- An in-house counselling service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discount on leisure centre memberships
- And much more.
Our Structures Design Team is based in Darley Dale, Derbyshire, but as part of our Modern Ways of Working programme we are currently working on a hybrid basis. As we now start our return to work in an office environment there will be an opportunity to discuss future working arrangements at the interview.
If you would prefer to submit a standard application form, you can download one here and upload this instead of your CV.
For more information on other vacancies in our Highways team, the wonderful work we do and the benefits we can offer simply visit; www.derbyshire.gov.uk/highwaysjobs
If you would like to have an informal chat about this role, get in touch with Paul Traynor, Head of Design Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org