Derbyshire County Council are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Project Engineer to join part of our progressive and ambitious Highways Construction Service Management Team that oversees all functions of revenue and capital delivery of highway maintenance across our beautiful county of Derbyshire.
This is an exciting time to join our in-house Highways Service as we move onto the delivery phase of our Future Highways Model which is designed to ensure we’re paving the way for new and innovative approaches to delivering our services and shows the commitment to our in-house teams.
You will be working in a high-profile area of the business that is front and centre in terms of the Council’s Service Plan and we are looking for an ambitious individual that is experienced in this field, is eager to provide innovation and is supportive and keen to assist in the development of the service.
You will be responsible for a team of supervisors and technicians, providing early contractor involvement, technical expertise, estimates, programming – to deliver schemes within prescribed timescales to budget, reporting directly to the Head of Highways Construction Services.
What will you be doing?
- Be responsible for the management of day-to-day highway maintenance activities during normal working hours and out of hours, leading, developing and delivering all aspects of planned and/or reactive work allocated, to financial and quality targets.
- Provide technical advice and support on all aspects of highway projects, their maintenance and management
- Actively involved in the challenge to deliver innovation and efficiencies whilst maintaining and achieving improvements in performance, leading to the delivery of a high quality service in accordance with the principles of life cycle planning and asset management, and the code of practice on “Well-managed Highway Infrastructure”.
- Engaging with the client, designer and the supply chain is a critical element to deliver efficiencies within the service and the post holder will play a significant role in engagement in all aspects of the operation to drive improvement and upscale performance.
- Form part of the Highway Construction Services management team and provide specific leadership on all highway related projects and maintenance operations
What skills and experience do I need to have?
- Substantial management experience in highway maintenance
- Substantial experience in the management of sub-contract work during normal working hours and outside normal working hours.
- Considerable experience of managing and motivating a team of staff in delivering a range of diverse and complex projects
- The ability to demonstrate resourcing and financial management including resolution of conflicting priorities, formulating budgets and monitoring and control procedures
- An understanding of Asset Management principles and the Highway Maintenance Efficiency Programme
- Have articulate, clear and concise communication skills including inspiring, negotiation and persuasion to gain stakeholder and team commitment.
These lists are not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail (this role is known internally as Senior Project Engineer).
You will work closely with other areas within the Highways Service to continually develop service improvement and efficiencies whilst embracing new technologies and best working practices.
This is a brilliant opportunity for someone who wants to be part of positive change from reactive to proactive, and who relishes a challenge. If you have aspirations to spot opportunities and add value, this role could be perfect for you.
What we offer you:
- 27 days of annual leave (plus another 5 with 5 years of continuous service)
- Flexi time, allowing up to an additional 2 days of leave per month
- A friendly and supportive working environment
- Derbyshire based work locations
- Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme
- The opportunity to develop yourself and your career with ongoing training opportunities
- A comprehensive wellbeing package including physio, counselling & occupational health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discount on leisure centre memberships
- And much more.
For more information on other vacancies in our Highways team, the wonderful work we do and the benefits we can offer simply visit; www.derbyshire.gov.uk/highwaysjobs
If you would like to have an informal chat about this role, get in touch with Chris Allwood firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would prefer to submit a standard application form, you can download one here and upload this instead of your CV.