Derbyshire County Council are looking for an experienced Contract Manager to join our progressive and ambitious Highways Construction Service, to manage the effective, daily delivery of highway maintenance schemes throughout across our beautiful county of Derbyshire.
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic individual to manage the prioritisation, organisation and management of highway maintenance and highway related projects undertaken by in-house and/or external resources. The work is varied, ranging from assistance with the delivery of operations regarding adverse weather, rebuilding of retaining walls, implementation of new highway drainage to the construction of new carriageway.
This is an exciting time to join our in-house Highways Service as we move onto the delivery phase of our Future Highways Model which is designed to ensure we’re paving the way for new and innovative approaches to delivering our services and shows the commitment to our in-house teams.
You will be working in a high-profile area of the business that is front and centre in terms of the Council’s Service Plan forming part of a motivated team who strive to achieve improved performance in service delivery in line with asset management principles and the Code of Practice for Well Managed Highway Infrastructure.
What will you be doing?
- Effectively manage, plan, programme and monitor work using available resources (labour, transport, plant and materials) effectively to ensure maximum value is delivered for resources deployed and service provided.
- Provide technical advice and support on all aspects of highway maintenance and construction.
- Leading, motivating and managing a team delivering highway maintenance operations, to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the service and supporting emergency highway operations and adverse weather conditions outside normal working hours
- Creating opportunities to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the service delivery provided, working in partnership with departmental colleagues and the supply chain
- Liaising with internal/external bodies/organisations in project delivery, providing ‘early contractor involvement’
What skills and experience do I need to have?
- Substantial experience in the management, motivation and development of Highway Maintenance and Construction Services
- Have the knowledge and experience of varying, large scale and complex projects
- Have the ability to manage significant budgets,
- Good communication skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels
- Considerable experience of managing and motivating a team of staff in supervising a range of diverse and complex projects, some of which may require political sensitivity.
You will work closely with other areas within the Highways Service to continually develop service improvement and efficiencies whilst embracing new technologies and best working practices.
This is a brilliant opportunity for someone who wants to be part of positive change from reactive to proactive, and who relishes a challenge. If you have aspirations to spot opportunities and add value, this role could be perfect for you.
What we offer you:
- 27 days of annual leave (plus another 5 with 5 years of continuous service)
- Flexi time, allowing up to an additional 2 days of leave per month
- A friendly and supportive working environment
- Derbyshire based work locations
- The opportunity to develop yourself and your career with ongoing training opportunities
- Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme
- A comprehensive wellbeing package including physio, counselling & occupational health
- Discount on leisure centre memberships
- And much more.
For more information on other vacancies in our Highways team, the wonderful work we do and the benefits we can offer simply visit; www.derbyshire.gov.uk/highwaysjobs
If you would like to have an informal chat about this role, get in touch with Chris Allwood firstname.lastname@example.org