Senior Planning Liaison Officer
We’re looking for somebody to join our Highways and Transport team as a Senior Planning Liaison Officer.
Working in Somerset provides the opportunity to get involved in some of the UK’s most high-profile growth initiatives, including new garden communities, housing infrastructure fund, enterprise zones, and national infrastructure projects such as Hinkley Point C.
This provides the opportunity to take on a wide range of challenging and rewarding work – giving you valuable experience that can be difficult to find elsewhere.
Our team has a positive and supportive culture, and an environment that enables people to develop and improve – which means that you’ll have everything you need to grow (or even begin) your career in planning.
There is also an option for flexible working with hybrid office and home-based working (we can also offer compressed hours).
Here's what you can expect to be doing
You’ll be acting on behalf of the Highway Authority, providing advice on planning applications to the Local Planning Authority as well as to developers, councillors, and other interested parties.
Our team come from a range of different backgrounds, and it is not essential for you to have had experience in the areas below. The skills and experience required can often be developed once you are in the role
The work is varied, but day to day activities will often involve:
· Offering guidance on a wide range of highways development management issues during both pre-application consultation and the planning process
· Negotiating and securing highway works and contributions through legal agreements.
· Undertaking investigations into planning/political/technical issues
· Representing the Highway Authority at planning committees and appeals
A few things about you
As we mentioned above, experience in this role is not essential - you’ll be given all the support you need to build your career and thrive here.
That being said, it is important that you have an understanding of the planning system. This could have been gained through experience in a similar role, or through your own research and learning (you may even be a recent graduate).
It’s essential that you are educated to degree level or have relevant professional experience. Either is fine.
From 1 April 2023 the County and District councils in Somerset will be replaced by a new single unitary authority – Somerset Council. It’s a genuinely exciting time to join us as we work together with the four district councils to deliver the new council for Somerset.
If you would like to find out more about this role before applying, please get in touch with Jon Fellingham on 01823 356298 or email email@example.com.
Interviews will be held virtually over MS Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.