Strategic Property Services Manager
The role is a hybrid role with part work from home and part office
It’s an exciting time for our Corporate Property Services Team. Over the last year we have taken great strides to modernise our Property Department delivering a first-class service which is compliant and offers modern and inspirational property portfolios for staff and the people of Reading.
We are looking for a dynamic leader to work with the Assistant Director Property & Asset Management to continue the exciting transformation of this service area. You should have a strong passion to want to drive improvement, support best value as well as delivery of best practice in Property Services Management.
If you enjoy a fast-paced team environment with opportunities to really make a difference we need you to help us achieve our goals and aspirations.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To lead and develop the Property Services function, ensuring that the service has a strategic focus, consistently meets its business plan and financial objectives and targets and places excellent customer service at the heart of its delivery.
- To lead the Reactive Repairs, Planned Maintenance, Statutory Compliance and Stock Condition Survey work programme.
- To implement and develop strategies, policies and procedures relevant to best practice in Property, Engineering and Statutory compliance including Corporate Landlord strategies, which provide future direction for the way in which we manage and make major decisions related to council properties.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
We are looking for someone who has strategic senior management experience in Property Services. With an inspirational can-do attitude, someone that enjoys a challenge, demonstrates innovation and proactiveness with a drive to make things happen, whilst never losing sight of the customer.
- A degree or equivalent level of qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Management qualification or significant experience in a senior management role within a large organisation.
- Corporate Membership or eligibility for Corporate Membership of a relevant professional body.
- Good experience of the legislative and financial context of property management in a large, diverse and complex organisation.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 30 working days. This rises to 236.8 hours (32 days) after 10 years continuous local government service with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact
Closing Date: 29th May 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Interview Process: Panel interview with questions
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.