Assistant Director Sustainable Growth
The Place Department in Derbyshire County Council is going through an exciting change programme, reflecting a varied and stimulating workload that will help reshape the physical, social and economic landscape within the County.
The Economy and Regeneration Service is recruiting three, new senior leaders to help drive forward this agenda which includes: delivery of a regeneration and place shaping programme worth over £500m; working closely with global Tier 1 and other businesses; helping core industrial sectors to thrive (Derbyshire’s tourism sector alone is currently worth over £2bn); and making sure our residents have the very best opportunities to access to skills and employment.
We are seeking inspiring, experienced and energetic leaders to fill the following roles:
This new role presents a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, strategic leader to join the Economy and Regeneration Management Team and drive delivery of our ambitious strategy to secure sustainable economic growth across the County. You will be responsible for the Economic Development, Employment & Skills and Strategic Transport, Travel & Infrastructure functions– critical to achievement of good growth.
You will build on the excellent work of the current teams and develop a new, cutting edge service that will level up our places and deliver economic prosperity to residents and businesses in Derbyshire. This will include inspiring key stakeholders such as partner local authorities, colleges, universities, Government departments and business to galvanise around long-term strategies that tackle complex, macro problems in a real and achievable way.
This is a role for a proven and capable leader who is an excellent communicator and able to translate strategy into practical work programmes that make a real difference to the lives of residents, the experience of visitors and the prosperity of businesses.
So, if you want to have a strong influence in building sustainable places across the beautiful county of Derbyshire and want to work for a forward thinking and innovative authority, joining this ambitious and dynamic team could be the perfect opportunity for you to really make a difference.
Key aspects of this role also include:
- Provide professional, expert opinion and leadership to relevant partnership arenas, working closely with authorities, key external partners, professional bodies and agencies both regionally and nationally to influence and deliver sustainable growth across the county
- Be responsible for protecting the Council’s interests and reputation by managing the delivery of agreed major projects and bids to support core work areas and deliver sustainable growth
- Support the Place directorate in the identification, development and delivery of long term and complex strategies that will drive ‘good growth’ across the county and deliver net zero ambitions
- Deliver organisational efficiency and effectiveness within the Sustainable Growth Service and support the wider approach to transformation within Economy and Regeneration, specifically ensuring effective performance, budget and people management within a culture of continuous improvement
This list is not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail.
What skills/experience will you need?
- Substantial senior level managerial experience with the ability to develop and sustain high performing teams and partnerships
- Have substantial technical knowledge of local government practice and procedures and relevant legislation and at least one related discipline within the Growth Service
- Ability to build a climate of trust during periods of change, using leadership skills to generate positive support and energy for change proposals
- Ability to manage multi-functional services, developing and implementing new systems and initiatives and ensuring continuing service efficiencies
- Ability to objectively assess need, based on evidence and information and make strategic decisions in relation to service priorities and work across service boundaries
Derbyshire is a wonderful place to live, visit and work. The post will be based at County Hall at Matlock, in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales.
And what’s in it for you?
- 34 days of annual leave
- Flexible working scheme allowing up to an additional 2 days off per month
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Guaranteed incremental annual pay increases
- Discounts at selected county leisure centres
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free online health and exercise sessions
- …and much more!
Derbyshire County Council is going through a period of positive development and transformation so it’s a great time to join and drive change.
For a snapshot of the key regeneration opportunities across Derbyshire – from major sites which will help drive economic prosperity and support a growing population, to smaller projects at the heart of our communities please visit Invest in Derbyshire
For an informal and confidential chat about the role please contact the Director of Economy & Regeneration, Joe Battye – firstname.lastname@example.org
Provisional Interview Date; week commencing 13th June
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Matlock
- Corporate Management Team Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Matlock
- Environment Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Matlock
- Highways Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Matlock
- Transport Planning Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Matlock