Fleet Management Team Leader
We are looking to recruit an experienced and motivated Team Leader to lead Buckinghamshire Council's Fleet Management Team which provides vehicles and plant to internal departments and partner organisations. The current fleet includes around 180 cars, vans, minibuses and items of specialist machinery.
You will lead our Fleet Management Team which is a small but friendly part of the Transport Services Department which also delivers public transport, school and social care transport and Sustainable School Travel. The team works closely with our highways and parking services as well as with schools and other partners.
Our office-based roles work flexibly, with 2 days per week in the office and the remainder homeworking. Your office base will be at our Walton Street Offices, Aylesbury and you will also need to travel around the county for some meetings and site visits. We have a good technology platform using Microsoft Teams enabling you to connect and collaborate remotely. We ask that you have in place good Broadband connectivity.
About the role
We have a vacancy for a motivated and experienced manager to lead our Fleet Management Team and ensure the consistent delivery of high standards for both internal and external customers.
This is a very exciting time to join us with the opportunity to take a leading role in shaping Buckinghamshire Council's new approach to the fleet, in support of the recently adopted Climate Change & Air Quality Strategy and the aspiration for the Council's fleet to be low emission or electric by 2030.
You will have overall responsibility for the supply, maintenance, insurance and disposal of around 180 vehicles and plant items, and for the Fleet Management Trading Account. The successful applicant will have good budget management skills and be able to build excellent supplier relationships for the management and supervision of vehicle maintenance contracts.
You will need to hold a Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence for either Freight or PSV.
The starting salary for this role is £42,698.
- Management and planning of the Council's vehicle fleet and plant requirements, including fleet replacement strategy, maintenance provision and legislative compliance.
- To act as the Council's Fleet Engineer, monitoring performance and taking action where appropriate to ensure the safe and legal operation of our fleet.
- To develop specifications and supplier relationships for the management and supervision of vehicle maintenance contracts, including the negotiation of terms as required.
- To oversee the work of team members ensuring performance and financial targets are set and achieved.
As an 'any-desk' worker, you'll need to be connected to our network to access digital folders and resources, but this can either be from home or an office location when required. You will be required to work from the office a couple of times a week, depending on your role and team requirements*.
*subject to current Government Covid-19 Guidance
- Extensive experience at a senior level in fleet management, workshops or passenger/freight operations with knowledge suitable to a local authority.
- Experience in managing staff and budgets and in building excellent service and partner relationships
- Detailed understanding of freight and passenger transport legislation and operational practices governing the purchase, inspection, maintenance, accident management and disposal of vehicles suitable to a local authority.
- Qualification to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence for either Freight or PSV.
For full details please see the attached job summary.
The closing date for applications is midnight Monday 23rd May 2022
Interviews will take place via video technology.
For an informal chat about this role in more detail, please contact Andy Clarke, Head of Public Transport on 01296 383468.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so please be advised to submit your application as early as possible.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That's why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafés, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme and the opportunity to gain membership to Costco. We have discounted gym memberships, Travel discounts with Arriva and Chiltern Railways and much more.