Career Grade Environmental Health Officer
Come and work for an award winning organisation!
We are committed to making Cheltenham a better place to live and work, enabling local residents and businesses to prosper whilst protecting what is good about our Borough.
You will be working in a small but highly experienced team with big ambitions, working to promote and protect public health within the Borough. The role is varied and rewarding from managing local air quality to investigating statutory nuisance.
About the role…
As Career Grade roles we are looking for those that need support with a career in environmental health as well as those who are already qualified, experienced and ready to help us support those starting their careers. This is a post you can apply for whether you are a recent graduate or have a few years environmental health experience and are looking for a new career opportunity. We are looking to appoint people at different points on the career grade structure according to qualifications and experience.
These exciting opportunities will support the improvement of this vital service and benefit the environment and local economy. We are looking for Environmental Health Officers who can inspire and manage a varied workload and we have opportunities for those who have a keen interest but minimal experience in environmental health, those that have a good grounding in environmental health and those who are highly experienced in complex cases. These positions allows the post holder flexibility with the ability to work from home and to be out and about, working on the job. You will need to be a good team player and have excellent communication skills, you will also need the ability to be self-motivated and proactive.
Technical Officer: This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a Degree or equivalent qualification in Environmental Health or a related subject. Support will be given towards achieving full registration of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health to a suitably qualified candidate holding an accredited environmental health qualification.
Environmental Health Officer: You will have a degree or equivalent in Environmental Health with professional registration and experience of working in a regulatory environment. You will be responsible for maintaining and developing the air quality monitoring programme and investigating a range of service requests including statutory nuisance, contaminated land and sampling and monitoring of private water supplies.
To be successful you will need…
- To be a fully qualified Environmental Health Officer or working towards full registration, or hold a Degree or equivalent in a related subject.
- You will have experience of working in a regulatory environment but we welcome applications from those new to the profession with the opportunity to progress to full registration for the right candidate.
- Ability to travel
For more information about this role please see the Job Description and Person Specification.
If you would like to have an informal chat about the post, please contact Bernadette Reed Interim Team Leader on 07500 816810 firstname.lastname@example.org
What can we do for you…
- A generous holiday entitlement. As well as bank holidays, you'll get 25 days paid holiday (pro rata if part-time). This increases by one day per year to 30 days when you have been employed for 5 years.
- You will be entitled to an extra two volunteering days paid time off per year for you to support a charity of your choice .
- An excellent pension scheme. You will be eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), which is a nationwide, career average pension scheme. The LGPS also provides valuable life cover of 3 x salary along with valuable financial protection for dependants.
- Hybrid working environment. You will enjoy a mix of home and office working as well as flexible working arrangements subject to the role.
- Flexitime working
- Job share and reduced working hours
- A comprehensive learning and development programme
- Financial assistance with a course of study (where appropriate to the job)
- Enhanced maternity scheme
- Employee counselling service
- A regular programme of medical screening and health checks
- Free eye tests (for some posts) and contribution towards the cost of glasses
Other benefits on offer include:
- A cycle to work scheme
- Commitment to employee wellbeing
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV and cover letter quoting ref CBC091; tell us about your skills, knowledge, qualifications, experience and how they meet the criteria listed above and in the job description/person specification at www.cheltenham.gov.uk/jobs It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so let us know what’s important to you and why you want to work for Cheltenham Borough Council.
Closing date: Wednesday 9th February 2022 at Midnight
Interview date: W/C 14th February 2022
Please note that if you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date shown on the advert, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion. Please note that we are receiving high levels of applications and we may close this advert before the advertised closing date.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults, young people and children. Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire and provide references; proof of identity, nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.