Assistant Director for Climate Change & Environment
Assistant Director for Climate Change & Environment
£61,791 - £67,419 - Plus market leading package (see below)
Derbyshire County Council are seeking our new Assistant Director - Climate Change & Environment within our Place Department. Our Department is embarking on a challenging and exciting transformation programme, led by the newly appointed Executive Director.
This is a new role and a fantastic opportunity for an experienced strategic senior leader to join our senior leadership team and provide clear strategic management and operational leadership. You will shape and deliver our ambitious climate change programme and deliver environmental, countryside, conservation, heritage & design functions supporting the reshaping of the newly defined Environment & Transport division.
You’ll be with working closely with a wide range of partners both internal and external, at both regional and local levels acting as the Council’s lead expert in the strategic and operational aspects of these services ensuring the overall effectiveness of service delivery strategies driving efficiencies, cultural shift and the departmental agenda.
Key aspects of this role also include:
- Develop and deliver strategy and action plans to meet our decarbonisation and sustainability goals, both within the Authority and in influencing and shaping action with partners across the County to meet Net Zero targets.
- Drive continuous improvements and service efficiencies through effective change management techniques
- Programme and project management of large programmes of work to deliver agreed outcomes with sound financial management
- Promote and develop opportunities to collaborate and share best practice with other council services and external partners to add value to the services
- Engage with staff and stakeholders to shape service vision and relevant operational plans; agree priorities and objectives in line with legislative and financial constraints and provide input to the Service Plan and relevant corporate policies
This list is not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail.
What skills/experience will you need?
- Substantial senior level managerial experience with the ability to develop and sustain high performing teams and partnerships
- Have substantial technical knowledge of climate change, countryside and environmental stewardship functions, legislation, policies, guidance and methodologies play a key role in our continued progress in being recognised as an ‘enterprising council’, looking at innovative ways to deliver our services through new delivery models.
- Ability to build a climate of trust during periods of change, using leadership skills to generate positive support and energy for change proposals
- Ability to manage multi-functional services, developing and implementing new systems and initiatives and ensuring continuing service efficiencies
- Ability to objectively assess need, based on evidence and information and make strategic decisions in relation to service priorities and work across service boundaries
Derbyshire is a wonderful place to live, visit and work. The post will be based at County Hall at Matlock, in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales.
And what’s in it for you?
- 29 days of annual leave plus another 5 with 5 years of continuous service
- Flexible working scheme allowing up to an additional 2 days off per month
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Guaranteed incremental annual pay increases
- Discounts at selected county leisure centres
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free online health and exercise sessions
- …and much more!
Derbyshire County Council are going through a period of positive development and transformation so it’s a great time to join and drive change.
The climate change team is a newly formed team, which we’re currently recruiting to and you’ll have the opportunity to strategically shape and influence the way the team delivers our agreed Climate Change Strategy, information about other vacancies in this team can be found here.
We are accepting CV’s for this position so it’s easier than ever to apply, but if you would rather submit a standard application form, details on how to do this are available here.
For an informal and confidential chat about the role please contact our Environment & Transport Director, Claire Brailsford – email@example.com
Provisional Interview Date 18, 21, 24 or 25 February 2022
This post is designated in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 as a Politically Restricted Post. The successful candidate will therefore be disqualified from: (a) Becoming or remaining a Member of a local authority (excluding town or parish councils); or (b) Standing as a candidate for election as a Member of the House of Commons or the European Parliament (c) Acting as an election agent (d) Acting as an official of a political party, (e) Canvassing on behalf of a political party or individual (f) Publishing material or addressing the public in support of a political party.
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Derbyshire
- Corporate Management Team Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Derbyshire
- Environment Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Derbyshire
- Environmental Health Director £60,000 - £69,999 Full time jobs in Derbyshire