We are seeking a Senior Transport Planner to join our extremely busy Strategic Transportation team. You will be working on a full time, permanent basis (37 hours per week), and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £39,880 - £46,845 per annum Career Graded.
As our Senior Transport Planner you will have management responsibility and to provide an effective service, including leading the technical direction, development and implementation of initiatives and provision of professional advice, guidance and information, ensuring that all operational requirements of the relevant specialist area are met.
Responsibilities as our Senior Transport Planner:
- Represent and promote the Council’s priorities at local and regional level to ensure that the Council is at the forefront of any opportunity that presents itself, in addition to leading local transport initiatives at regional level
- Lead the development of the service including extending its scope of activities and exploring and exploiting new and expanding opportunities to maximise and diversify funding into the Council.
- Be responsible for the management of a team of employees, providing direction and co-ordination of workloads, support and guidance, dealing with recruitment, motivation, training, welfare and discipline issues as appropriate.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information in relation to the relevant area of specialism, responding to stakeholder queries, acting as an expert witness in Inquiries and ensuring works are carried out in accordance with legislation, policies, procedures and plans.
- Coordinate programmes of work as required, writing reports and seeking required approvals to ensure successful delivery of schemes and outputs within time and within budget.
- Provide excellent standards of professional advice, guidance and information on all areas for the service portfolio to internal and external stakeholders and customers.
- Be responsible for programme management across the service area, providing regular reporting and providing the required financial returns and progress reporting for funding bodies.
What we’re looking for in our Senior Transport Planner:
- Relevant Level 6 qualification OR *Extensive Equivalent Experience
- Membership of a relevant professional Institute (ICE, IHE, IHT)
- Experience in working in a transport planning environment
- Experience of project and programme management in a transportation or multi engineering and/or delivery environment flexibly using resources to respond to changing priorities
- Able to demonstrate a consistent track record of delivering outcomes and the attainment of organisational objectives
- Experienced in working with and managing the expectations of partners and stakeholders.
- A demonstrable track record of leading, motivating and managing a team relevant to the provision of services for this post to achieve significant, sustainable service improvements and outstanding results.
- Substantial and detailed knowledge of the current and emerging legislation and government initiatives with the ability to be able to apply to translate that knowledge into service delivery to achieve statutory and strategic objectives
- Experience of managing and leading on the delivery of excellence in customer service.
- Extensive experience of project and programme development and prioritisation mechanisms
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
- Work in accordance with the council's vision, priorities, values and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post.
A lot to look forward to
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
We need a Senior Transport Planner who shares our enthusiasm and vision who can pull all this together and make this happen – is that you? Then we’d like to hear from you!