Assistant Engineer Transport Planning
Barnsley Council are seeking an experienced and motivated Assistant Engineer in Transport Planning to lead an exceptional and expanding transport planning team based in Barnsley. You will be working on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £32,234 - £34,728 per annum.
Barnsley is changing and at it’s heart is a commitment to concentrate on providing services where they’re most needed, where they’ll have the most impact and to help people do more for each other and their community.
Our highway network is vital to the economic, social and environmental well-being of Barnsley. It is key to achieving nearly all of the Council’s business objectives, providing the means by which children get to school, the elderly receive home help, waste is transported and Council staff deliver services around the Borough. Now is a great time to be joining our forward-thinking and dynamic Highways & Engineering Service.
The Assistant Engineer role:
As our Assistant Engineer, you will play a crucial role within our core Highways team. Working within a small team, you will have the unparalleled opportunity to help in delivering a number of high-profile traffic management/traffic engineering schemes, from inception through to completion, with a chance to contribute to a number of current and emerging organisational strategies including enhancing local ecology, biodiversity and climate change.
Responsibilities as our Assistant Engineer will involve:
- Assisting in the relevant programme identification, prioritisation and treatment design and selection utilising
relevant procedural manuals and Health & Safety legislation
- Undertaking preliminary site visits and surveys to undertake feasibility investigations into schemes
- Designing appropriate solutions, estimating costs and preparing relevant implementation schedules
including an annual works programme, ensuring works are completed fully and in a timely manner
- Collating and analysing data from a variety of sources, checking and auditing the information to ensure
its accuracy and providing relevant information and analysis as required
- Undertaking design work using specialist IT programmes in relation to schemes
- Assisting with the completion of project work and ongoing research as required to ensure the provision of
value for money services
- Undertaking contract management and supervision of relevant procured works, ensuring specifications,
timescales and financial targets are met
- Providing advice, guidance and information in relation to the relevant area of specialism, supervising
the work of others and ensuring works are carried out in accordance with policies, procedures and
- Preparing and delivering reports, presentations and statutory government returns, ensuring they are
suitable for particular audiences
- Undertaking financial administration, monitoring budgets and issuing work orders
What are we looking for in our Assistant Engineer?
- A Level 4 qualification in a relevant area
- Previous experience of project and programme development and prioritisation mechanisms
- Previous experience and knowledge of using IT based data input and processing tools e.g.
Microsoft Excel, Access or bespoke systems
- Proven knowledge of local and national strategies, policies and legislation relevant to the area
- of work
- Specialist working knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with a
variety of internal and external stakeholders including customers
- Good organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, being self-motivated and able to use your own initiative under minimal supervision
- To be willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do.
As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding. In addition, we have an attractive and competitive employee pay benefits programme in addition to the basic salary. We are committed to supporting the principles of equal pay and aim to eliminate inequalities in our pay systems through fair and transparent pay framework and reward strategy.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Assistant Engineer, we would love to hear from you!