Transport Development Officer (Maternity Cover)
We are open to applications from colleagues who wish to consider this as a secondment opportunity from their current post.
What will you be doing…
You will provide key support in the coordination and preparation of the Council’s response to the National Bus Strategy providing close and ongoing liaison with stakeholders and senior service area managers.
You will be working with bus service operators and other organisations such as voluntary sector organisations to bus service operators, people who use services, communities, and partners, including Health, district councils and private and voluntary sector organisations to develop options, design business cases and plan and implement preferred option(s). You will be experienced in areas such as, organising and attending progress meetings, reporting, financial monitoring, risk management and stakeholder liaison.
You will manage multi-discipline projects and you’ll ensure that Members, officers, partners and other stakeholders are briefed in a timely way in respect of the progress of project development. You will be key in developing and empowering staff to optimise their skills and output and to promote effective working relationships to ensure that project objectives and targets are met.
There will be requirement to provide and present information and advice to the Council on Government transport policies, legislation, circulars and other transport initiatives to inform decision making, producing detailed projects. On occasion, you will also prepare and present finding from research and other information for public consultation.
What we require from you…
- Experience of working closely with a wide range of stakeholders such as transport providers, Elected Members, Scheme Promoters and Developers and to help coordinate and assist in the delivery of projects.
- A proven ability to work with autonomy, make decisions and manage risks together with experience such financial management of projects/programmes is essential.
- Proactive in nature, with excellent communication skills and an ability to build strong partnership relationships.
- Persuading, influencing and negotiating skills and an ability to use a range of techniques to successfully persuade, influence and/or negotiate with others in a range of situations
- Problem solving skills, someone who takes responsibility for and produces a range of solutions to problems
- Experience of change / project management resulting in measurable service improvements in a highly changeable and demanding in a public sector environment.
- Strong analytical skills, with a high level of numeracy and IT literacy.
It is desirable that you have knowledge of passenger transport regulations and legislative framework affecting commercial bus operations together with knowledge of current transport industry issues, but this is not essential.
In return we can offer you...
A flexible working offer that allows you to have a true work/life balance.
We strive to be a truly diverse and inclusive employer, it is very important and our staff reviews continue to trend positively around us being a great place to work.
We invest in our staff, their career and offer a wide range of ongoing training and development opportunities.
We invest in new technology to help support our staff to carry out their jobs to the best of their ability, whilst ensuring safety during Covid-19. We appreciate the varied nature of our roles across the council and ensure that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; featuring socially distanced work areas, which are deep cleaned following daily use.
In addition to the above, we can also offer you a comprehensive benefits package including:
- A local government pension scheme;
- Family friendly leave;
- Salary sacrifice schemes;
- Modern flexible working practices;
- Learning and development packages; and
- Employee discount benefits.
To discuss this role further contact Cathy Knight on 01609 535134 or Cathy.Knight@northyorks.gov.uk
Job Description - Transport Development Officer Grade M.docx
NYCC are committed to directly recruiting staff and will not accept applications nor services from agency suppliers in respect of our vacancies.
We are committed to meeting the needs of our diverse community and aim to have a workforce reflecting this diversity. We are also committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.