Senior Engineer Structures - Asset Management & Inspection
How you'll make a difference
Join the successful structures team who have won a number of awards, including the ICE South West Community Award 2019 and the IHE South West Large Project of the Year award 2018 for the major refurbishment and improvement of the Bromley Heath Viaduct. The structures team manages highway and open space structures and you will be a senior member of the team, managing and supervising project teams relating to the inspection, assessment, strengthening, replacement and design of new structures.
You will be working on a spectrum of projects and prestigious schemes which give you variety and new challenges in your job role that you will find hard to match elsewhere.
This Senior Engineer position is focused on asset management and inspections, however, there will be plenty of opportunities to work across all the functions of the team to maintain your professional development and contribute towards the development and improvement of policies and procedures. In this vital role you will support the continuing development of our long term asset management strategy, works programmes and where required work with our neighbouring local authorities in the West of England Combined Authority.
What will you be doing
- As a senior member of the team you will manage and supervise project teams relating to the inspection, assessment, strengthening, replacement and design of new structures.
- You will also be responsible for managing the technical approval process that relates to highway and open space structures whether they are being proposed by third parties or in-house teams
- In the role you will formulate and manage the programme of Principal, General and Diving/Confined Space Inspections using our in house team and external consultants and specialists as necessary
- You will develop lifecycle plans for individual structures and groups of structures, setting intervention levels to make best use of our budget allocations
- It will be your responsibility to produce asset valuation of our structures asset stock in accordance with the CIPFA guidance
- It is expected that you develop prioritised programmes of maintenance activities and supervise team members while they specify and implement maintenance works
- You will maintain and improve our structures asset management software system in conjunction with our supplier
What we need from you
- You must have a Degree in a civil engineering related discipline, with substantial relevant post qualification experience in the design of highway and open space structures
- We require you to have Membership (Chartered or Incorporated Engineer) of an appropriate professional institution, demonstrating a commitment to personal continuing professional development and an NVQ L4 in Management or equivalent level of knowledge and experience
- You will have significant knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works and Eurocode standards
- You must have Bridge Inspector accreditation with Lantra or a similar scheme to demonstrate competence and experience in the inspection of structures being built to ensure they comply with approved drawings/designs/specifications. You will also show evidence of writing complex technical reports for stakeholders and members and significant knowledge and experience in using NEC contracts
- You will need significant knowledge and experience of the CDM regulations and the production of documents required to ensure we meet our duties and have experience in producing (and supervising the production of) documents required for the technical approval process
- We require you to have experience in preparing and managing programmes of inspections, leading inspection teams and specialist consultants /contractors where necessary
- It is expected that you will have experience in lifecycle planning and asset valuation of highway structures and experience in using and developing specialist structures asset management software such as AMX
- It is essential that you have project co-ordination experience and of delivering programmes to meet clearly defined outcomes and of producing prioritised maintenance programmes for a stock of structures to achieve value for money
- You will have demonstrable experience of dealing with external agencies and partners to ensure delivery of maintenance and strengthening of existing structures
- Good level of IT literacy and be able to demonstrate excellent skills with software such as Superstress, Advance Design, TEDDS, Scale, AMX, Autocad, Mapinfo and Microsoft Office products
- Relevant health and safety training, such as confined spaces training, working at height training, IOSH certification
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives, and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work, and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
More searches like this
- Environment Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Gloucestershire
- Environmental Management Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Gloucestershire
- Highways Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Gloucestershire
- Streetscene Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Gloucestershire
- Transport Planning Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Gloucestershire