Brimhams Active – Non-Executive Director (two voluntary roles available)
Brimhams Active is a brand new leisure, health and wellbeing company owned by Harrogate Council.
Following a huge £40 million investment, the management of the service previously run by Harrogate Council has been transferred to Brimhams Active, with the vision to create a service, which has the local community right at the core. The aim is to create an efficient and effective sustainable business model that delivers both exceptional outcomes and reduces the cost of the service to the council. It will provide an ethical and commercial solution to improving the health and wellbeing of those who live in and around Harrogate - wellness is a growing commercial opportunity so it makes business, as well as social sense to transform the service in this way.
The scale of the challenge is more than matched by the scale of the opportunities thanks to this unprecedented investment and the strength of partnerships between the council and wider stakeholders.
Brimhams Active offers a wide range of opportunities for residents and visitors to participate in active leisure pursuits in one of its’ many centres across the wider Harrogate, Ripon, Knaresborough areas - from swimming, a gym workout, a yoga session, or a treatment at the Turkish Baths. In addition, as from April 2023, there will be a new unitary council for North Yorkshire, which could provide really exciting opportunities to grow and develop Brimhams Active as the services currently provided by all eight councils in North Yorkshire are brought together.
To help bring the vision to life Brimhams Active is looking for robust, experienced and strategic leaders who are excited by the challenge and the opportunities in equal measure. You will be driven by your desire to make a real difference to the health and wellbeing of our communities across the wider Harrogate district, at the same time as demonstrating commercial acumen and the ability to drive long term and sustainable successful growth.
A non-Executive Director for Brimhams Active will not be involved in the day to day operational management of the company. They should however offer a perspective on corporate governance, risk management and succession planning, and other areas of company business as appropriate.
The role of a non-Executive is to ensure that Brimhams Active acts in the best interests of itself, and in so doing also benefits Harrogate Borough Council (HBC).
We are looking for two Non-Executive Directors who ideally have a background in finance or law however all applicants with a passion for the role that can bring relevant experience and value will be considered. The accountabilities of the post include, but are not limited to:
- Provide entrepreneurial leadership within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed.
- Set the company strategic aims, ensure that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the company to meet its objectives, and review management performance.
- Set the company values and standards.
- Set the company vision, aims and objectives.
- Constructively challenge and help develop proposals on strategy.
- Scrutinise the performance of management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of performance and outcomes.
- Satisfy him/ herself on the integrity of financial information and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- Satisfy him/ herself that appropriate governance arrangements are in place.
- Satisfy him/ herself that appropriate financial controls are in place to prevent irregularities including fraud.
- Determine appropriate levels of remuneration of Executive Directors, and have a prime role in appointing, and where necessary removing, Executive Directors and in succession planning.
In keeping with company Articles, the non-Exec Directors for Brimhams Active will be made up of HBC Members, senior HBC officers and independent people with specific knowledge and experience.
Location: Attendance at four early evening board meetings per year plus the option to join a subcommittee and with ongoing CPD opportunities. Board meetings are a mix of on-line and in person at venues within the Harrogate district.
Closing date for Applications: Midnight 3rd January 2022