Highway Engineer - Reactive Maintenance
We make a difference to the environment we live in. Come and help us manage our highway infrastructure.
We’re always looking for better ways of doing things. How can we make the most of our resources and improve the resilience of our highway network?
These are just some of the things you could be looking at when you join us. You’re going to have a big impact on what we do, so you’ll be trusted to take ownership of your work. To deliver better today and to create a better tomorrow.
Because we're Bracknell Forest.
What it's like working in our team...
It will be busy and varied working within the Highways and Transport team, you’ll also need to work with our Environmental Services, Public Open Space, Term Maintenance Contractor and Parks and Countryside teams too, to ensure Bracknell is delivering on its duties. Good communication skills are vital, as are the interpersonal skills it takes to work as part of a team and liaise with a wide range of professionals.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training...
- To manage and support the highway safety inspections team, having due regard to the relevant codes of practice, legislative requirements and council maintenance polices to ensure that the Council meets its statutory requirements in relation to highway maintenance and related public safety.
- Lead the highway inspection team and drainage during service demanding scenarios. Including, efficiently and courteously responding to customers by methods including, contact in person, by telephone, and through all forms of correspondence including the provision of advice.
- Carrying out investigations and help defend insurance claims.
- To assist in the delivery of programmes of work which contributes to the achievement of the objectives, workload and targets set for the section. Including stakeholder engagement.
The benefits you will experience are...
- Flexible working arrangements
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Working in a friendly and diverse team.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
What we're looking for...
Great at problem solving with a can-do attitude. Ability to balance tact with diplomacy. Self-motivated individual, who is creative, innovative, and comfortable working to deadlines. Good communication skills are vital, as are the interpersonal skills it takes to work as part of a team and liaise with a wide range of professionals.
To succeed, you’ll need a good all-round approach to highway maintenance and good understanding of the duties placed on a Highway Authority. Civil Engineering qualifications would be beneficial, alongside knowledge of highway drainage infrastructure. You’re also comfortable analysing information and producing reports and statistics.
Interviews will be held w/c 8th November.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Name: Gary Cleaver or Neil Mathews
Job Title: Reactive Maintenance Manager / Assistant Director, Highways and Transport
Phone Number: 01344 351391 / 01344 351163
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
Bracknell Forest Council – Working for Equality. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Further information on this vacancy