Highways Road Safety Engineer
We have an exciting opportunity available within the Highways Service at Sandwell Council. We are seeking a highly motivated, skilled and experienced individual to work within the Development and Road Safety team. The main duties will include undertaking road casualty investigations, liaising with residents, businesses and elected members regarding road safety concerns, writing reports and designing and delivering minor programmes of road safety improvements in light of those studies.
This post will have a major influence on the direction of travel for The Highway Service, assisting in the delivery our Statutory Duties and responsibilities, using both in-house and external resources. This will help secure the safe and efficient movement of traffic and pedestrians within the Borough of Sandwell and improving the overall performance of The Authority’s highway network.
You will be assisting the Group Manager in the investigation, promotion, design and delivery of projects to reduce road traffic casualties on the borough’s extensive road network. This Engineer role is key to the organisation and you will also be taking responsibility for mentoring and motivating junior members of staff as well as managing other resources to deliver priorities and objectives, whilst instilling a culture of continuous improvement in the service.
We would love to hear from applicants who can demonstrate:
• Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Foundation Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent
• Excellent planning and prioritisation skills
• An analytical approach to problem solving and experience with road casualty data analysis
• Experience in the design of minor road safety improvement schemes
• Experience of communicating with members of the public and other key stakeholders
• A drive for continuous improvement
• Knowledge of/ and/or ability to interpret relevant codes of practice, procedures and DfT circulars
• Ability to assess risk and hazards when working on the highway
• A willingness to work towards obtaining an appropriate management qualification
• Ability to work under pressure, organise your own workload and meet deadlines
• A full driving license
• Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
This is an important role for Sandwell and if you are up for the challenge of improving our Highway Service, we would love to hear from you.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please ring Sharon Lang on 07920 182461 email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Values, Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell's Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to email@example.com.