Engineer (Senior) Civils – Highways & Developer Infrastructure
Bedford Borough, is the place to grow, the Council is committed to supporting people, enhancing places, creating wealth and empowering communities and now offers you an exciting opportunity to join its in-house Engineering Services team. With significant infrastructure projects such as the £20 million pound Transporting Bedford 2020 project and recently announce £22.6 million pound Town Deal, this really does presents you with a unique opportunity to deliver your engineering work within a thriving local authority engineering team.
You will work in the traditional areas of design, technical approvals, supervision and asset management, but you will also take in the inception and constitutional areas of projects. The multi-disciplinary team you will be joining has professional engineers who work together across all areas of highways, intelligent transport, bridges, lighting, signs, drainage, and developer-led works. With the Council containing most services under one roof you will also meet/get to know lots of other specialists, including our colleagues in transport, planning, building services and parks teams.
Reporting directly to the Team Leader for Highways and Developer Infrastructure, you will take a lead role ensuring that all S38 and S278 developer-led projects are suitably designed, leading S38 and S278 discussions with developers, and providing technical advice to consultants and other BBC departments.
A typical week for you could include:
• Design checks, technical audit and approval of major S38 & S278 projects;
• Supporting the wider team with technical advice;
• Supporting and mentoring colleagues within our career-grade scheme;
• Working with our Highway Development Control colleagues to ensure projects are delivered in accordance with planning requirements;
• Negotiation of S38 & S278 legal agreements;
• Site visits to ensure works are in accordance with approved drawings and specifications, and to provide engineering solutions to problems.
We are searching for people who will have:
• A Degree in Civil Engineering
• Chartered status or Incorporated (and working towards Chartered)
• Membership of a professional body, such as ICE, IHE or CIHT
• Significant relevant experience in S38 and S278 technical audits (essential)
The Council is committed to offering you a good work-life balance, which includes its flexitime and agile working arrangements, there is a service to be delivered, but we don’t forget your home requirements or those precious personal moments, such as family gatherings or school plays. You would work a 37 hour working week with 26 days of annual leave (increasing to 31 days after 5 years’ service), compensated by a competitive salary and a pension scheme that will be completely unrivalled in the private sector.
Bedford Borough Council is an inclusive employer. It is your engineering skills that we are after, so why not join the engaging and supportive team with all of the opportunities and benefits that it can offer you?
Closing Date: 15th August 2021