Commercial Vehicle Technician
Commercial Vehicle Technician Job description
Chelmsford City Council has a new and exciting opportunity available for a Commercial Vehicle Technician to join the team based in Chelmsford. The successful applicant is to work as part of the team who maintain the Council's fleet to the highest standards. You will usually be required to work 37 hours a week Monday to Friday however, flexibility is essential within this role.
Responsibilities as our Commercial Vehicle Technician will include:
- Preparing vehicles for annual testing including delivery to testing stations ensuring vehicles fully compliant
- Carrying out scheduled servicing, breakdown repairs, vehicle safety inspections as directed to chassis, cabs and auxiliary equipment
- Completing all supporting paperwork in a timely manner detailing all work carried out on vehicles, auxiliary equipment and plant
- Carrying out Hackney Carriage and Private Hire suitability/road worthiness inspections to the Council’s high standards, as and when required
- Carrying out Class 4 and 7 MOT inspections for which DVSA training will be given as appropriate
- Steam cleaning vehicle parts or units as required before repair/inspection
- Attending road side breakdowns to assess the remedial action necessary including the carrying out of appropriate repairs on site
- Keeping individual workstation clean and tidy ensuring compliance with safe working practices and assist other workshop staff to maintain the communal area of the workshop
- At all times ensuring compliance with all health, safety and welfare policies and procedures
What we’re looking for in our Commercial Vehicle Technician:
Working at our well-equipped workshop at our operations depot at Freighter House, Chelmsford, a strong commercial vehicle background is essential and previous experience of working on waste collection vehicles is desirable but not essential as training will be provided as appropriate.
You will have served a recognised apprenticeship, or the equivalent, and possess City and Guilds Parts 1, 2 & 3, in Motor Vehicle Technology. A full driving licence with category C is essential.
Chelmsford City Council is committed to safeguarding vulnerable groups and expects all employees to share this commitment and have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practices across our services. The Council's Safer Recruitment process contains pre-employment vetting which includes safeguarding training, obtaining references, and ensuring compliance with the Disclosure and Barring Service process.
To view further details for this role including the job description, please click the link on the attachments section above.
Please be advised that should sufficient applications be received; we may close the advert earlier than the application closing date shown.