Social Worker - Adoption Team
*** This is a temporary position for a period of 4/5 months to provide support to the team while permanent recruitment is in progress ***
This role will offer a practitioner the opportunity to expand their skills in Prospective Adopter Assessments, family finding, matching, transitions and supporting adoption placements. This role will expand skills in assessments and build on knowledge around the impact of developmental trauma, loss, identity and post adoption contact. The North Adoption team is based in Essex House, Colchester and we are a small and friendly team who welcomes new team members and help them settle into their role, together with regular monthly supervision.
In Essex County Council, we are "Serious about Social Work"
Having won the Best Social Work Employer of the Year Award and been awarded 'Outstanding' by Ofsted this is an exciting time to join us. As if that wasn't enough, Essex has also been announced as a Partner in Practice by the Department of Education, and the Essex Social Care Academy (ESCA) is the only Local Authority team in the country to be accredited by BASW as a CPD provider. We have invested in our workforce and created a positive environment for our social workers to make a difference and achieve change for our most vulnerable children and families through direct relationship-based social work practice. We have supported our staff to have an understanding of systemic theoretical framework and models underpinning our interventions; to have access to the right tools, equipment and resources; and also the right supervision, training and learning opportunities they need to be strong practitioners.
Our Adoption Teams
This is an exciting opportunity to join an established team of social workers who co-ordinate, undertake and support assessment of suitable adoptive households and seek to identify suitable adoptive placement for children whose care plans are one of adoption. The teams are based in Harlow, Colchester and Chelmsford however the adoption agency covers the county and therefore we support colleagues in our neighbouring quadrant teams when required.
What you'll need to join our Social Work teams
- A diploma or degree in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent.
- Registration with the Social Work England as a registered Social Worker.
- Be able to demonstrable capability of practice in accordance with current professional standards e.g. Professional Capability Framework (PCF), Knowledge& Skills Statement (KSS).
- Experience of leading a team in a Social Care environment.
- Experience or a good understanding of working within Children and Family/Fostering services.
- Open to change and ready to innovate, you will be keen to join an environment where you can stretch yourself professionally, make an impact individually and deliver positive outcomes collaboratively.
- Court experience preferable.
- Analytical report writing skills are essential.
- Understanding impact of neglect/abuse on children and trauma in children important.
- Flexible working is required with occasional out of county work.
- Writing in-depth analytical reports.
- You will be committed to systemic, relationship based social work, providing effective, innovative interventions and with the ability to build good partnerships, both with our external partners and within the organisation.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
Sorry, newly qualified social workers will not be considered for this position.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.