Energy and Low Carbon Analyst
Energy and Low Carbon Analyst
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £34,017 per annum
Closing Date: 10th January 2021
Essex is committed to taking ambitious steps to address climate action. The Essex Climate Action Commission (ECAC) has brought together a range of climate experts to advise the Council on the steps that must be taken to effectively mitigate the effects of Climate Change. Essex County Council (ECC) has committed £5m to start funding the recommendations made.
As part of the Environment and Climate Action function in ECC, the Energy and Low Carbon Analyst will play an integral role in helping to develop, scale up and deliver the recommendations coming from ECAC.
With energy sector knowledge and strong analytical skills, the individual will play a key role in taking forward the recommendations coming from the Energy and Waste working group of the ECAC, and analyse baseline and future green-house gas emission pathways to net zero.
The role requires an ability to gather and interrogate data sets, undertake sensitivity analysis and create insight to help monitor, track and model future emission pathways. It will demand persistence, an enquiring mind, and ability to communicate complex and new ideas, and a focus on delivery.
- The role will harness a strong analytical mindset to support project delivery and provide business insight that drives the Councils climate action ambitions - it is therefore critical to be naturally inquisitive, have a passion for solving problems, able to prioritise and organise effectively.
- Work to clear objectives, producing plans that help to deliver the recommendations of the Essex Climate Action Commission.
- Work flexibly and collaboratively across Environment and Climate Action and ECC (specifically finance, procurement and performance and business intelligence) to help deliver projects that support the Council's climate action ambitions.
- Build effective internal and external networks with relevant partners in the Energy and Renewables sector to gather data and insight and inform ECC's climate action plan.
- Build capabilities (tools and resources) to model future emission pathways and provide commercial insight into renewable generation opportunities for the organisation.
- Monitor the Energy and Low Carbon sector market trends, regulatory developments and local government commercial activity to identify opportunities that align with and accelerates the Councils' Climate Action ambitions.
- Support efforts to create more renewable energy generation in Essex - both small and large scale - with analysis and insight. Support work to move ECC to a point where its own corporate energy and heat supply is sourced from 100% renewables.
- Support in preparation of business cases, briefings, Cabinet Member Actions and Key Decision papers for members as required.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Educated to degree level in a relevant environmental subject or equivalent by experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Highly numerate, highly confident analysing data and information, excellent analytical skills but able to contextualise into simple messaging focused on actions.
- A background in a relevant field, with knowledge of the Energy and Low Carbon sector, with experience in either emissions modelling, renewable development (especially large-scale renewables, ideally solar) and/or utilities procurement essential.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of green financing models as a means to support investment in low carbon infrastructure.
- An ability to communicate openly and with confidence on complex topics.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of commercial contracts ideally with knowledge and/or experience of public procurement processes.
- Shows persistence and resilience. Confident team player who is also able to work on own initiative - action orientated. Professional with a high level of commitment and enthusiasm.
- Has a good ability to prioritise, plan and manage competing demands.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.