Highways Asset Commissioning Officer
3 days left
- Contract Type
- Full time
A bit about us
Somerset is a great place to live, work and play, with a spectacular countryside and coastline which includes the majority of Exmoor National Park and other Outstanding Areas of Natural Beauty. It is home to small villages and market towns with a rich heritage of history and legend.
Somerset’s highway network, one of the tenth largest in the country, is the most valuable publicly owned asset managed by Somerset County Council. Somerset’s roads are used by nearly all residents, businesses and visitors to the county. They provide a vital contribution to the economic health of the county and the quality of the environment, as well as providing a range of social and recreational benefits to our service users.
Here's what you can expect to be doing
Somerset County Council operate the commissioning model. The highways commissioning team is a small team with a big influence.
As a commissioner you will help set the outcomes required of the highway network and service.
As well as influencing how the roads of Somerset are maintained the role will also help to design the wider impact of the highway service including climate change, social value, community engagement and collaboration with partners, stakeholders and other highway authorities to achieve the outcomes set.
In this role you will be working with internal and external stakeholders, including; members, directors, operational teams, other highway authorities, the Somerset Rivers Authority, and the DfT.
The role will involve gaining additional funding from grants and DfT challenge fund bids, recommending and allocating budgets and producing decision papers.
This is your opportunity to influence the highway network and service in Somerset, championing innovation, efficiency and improvement and maximising the benefit for all stakeholders.
A few things about you
Ideally you will;
- Be educated or acquired knowledge to Degree level
- Hold or working towards a suitable professional qualification;
- Have experience within the Highways and Transport sector;
- Have experience of governance processes within local government, although this is not essential
- Be able to demonstrate experience of project management
- Be an excellent communicator, both written and verbal
We are very happy to consider candidates who feel they may have some of these attributes who we can help develop into the role.
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, please contact David Jones Commissioning Service Manager - Highway Asset & Improvement on 07977400648 or via DLJones@somerset.gov.uk, or Mike O'Dowd Jones, Strategic Manager - Highways and Transport, via MODowdJones@somerset.gov.uk
Please note we aim for all recruitment activity to continue as expected, however due to COVID-19 all interviews for the time being will take place virtually over Microsoft Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our
- Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Job Ref: SCC01494AB
Closing date: 1st November