Principal Engineer - Street Lighting
Department: Place Services
Grade: SCP 36-38
Hours Worked: 37 hours per week
It is a very exciting time for St Helens: we have a substantial list of pipeline schemes for housing, transport and economic development, including several high profile schemes. We are also in the process of implementing the Town Centre masterplan and further strategic development sites. In addition, we have secured over £52m of Combined Authority Single Investment Fund projects to be delivered over the next two years. In short – a brilliant place to grow your career. Are you currently looking for you next opportunity in the Street Lighting Sector? If so, this a fantastic opening to join a nationally recognised, forward-thinking organisation in the Highway industry.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing, leading and developing the team to ensure the delivery, and success of the annual business plan. This is a unique opportunity to assist a closely-knit team of Street Lighting Engineers / technicians to provide a comprehensive Engineering service. You will work as part of our team and manage, inspect and monitor our street lighting asset installations; and enhance the efficient daily routine maintenance of the street lighting services for the benefit of St Helens residents and businesses.
You will be responsible for: Day to day management of the Street Lighting Service and Delivery. To take ownership of resource and programme management for the street lighting service. To monitor, manage and report on programme delivery and performance. To monitor, manage and report on all financial activities. Deliver the Policy for St Helens for the Street Lighting Service. Manage the development of the Street Lighting team and assist its growth. Build strong, lasting relationships with clients, developers and external parties. Working with the team on scheme deliverability and Early Contract Involvement. Lead and grow the street lighting service provided for all existing and new clients.
The Successful Candidate will be:
- Qualified to inspect street lighting and electrical installations on the public highway.
- Good communicator and have confidence to deal with people at all levels. The ideal candidate will have relevant professional qualification in Electrical Engineering and thorough knowledge of Electrical Regulations; and Health and Safety Legislation.
The successful applicant will enjoy the following benefits:
- Easily accessible location (30 minutes to Liverpool, 30 minutes to Manchester by rail), with staff car parking permits available;
- Working within a supportive and team orientated environment;
- Opportunities for career progression and to take on additional responsibility;
- Generous Council pension scheme;
- Access to working rewards including: cycle scheme, discounted gym membership, and a host of other local discounts. Close liaison with team members is essential. The ability to motivate staff and manage performance is key.
Council employees are required to abide by the ethical standards embodied by the 7 NOLAN principles of conduct in public life. These include selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership. To find out more about this opportunity, contact Gareth Tyson (Network Management Manager) on 07966-318555 or 01744-676401.
For an application form and further details, please visit www.sthelens.gov.uk/jobs or contact Kristina Dixon on telephone number: 01744 676708 or postal address: Human Resources, Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens, WA10 1HP or email address: firstname.lastname@example.org