Principal Transport Planner
Principal Transport Planner
Full Time (permanent contract)
We are looking a fantastic new transport planner to lead the - crucial - active travel section of the Transport Strategy Group’s work. We need someone to lead our walking and cycling strategy, and ‘sponsor’ a number of high-profile programmes.
In June 2019 the Council agreed to set an ambitious target to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2030 - 20 years ahead of the national target. The Royal Borough is developing a highly ambitious vision for transport. An attractive, accessible, healthy and sustainable transport network will help make Royal Greenwich a brilliant place to live, work and play – opening up the great opportunities it offers to all of its residents. We will meet and exceed the Mayor of London’s aim for 80 per cent of all trips in London to be made on foot, by cycle or using public transport by 2041.
The Royal Borough has a track record of delivering great transport investments – which transformational projects like the Greenwich Liveable Neighbourhood and our London Streetspace Plan schemes will build on. With ambitious targets and some big challenges, we need a knowledgeable, experienced, and enthusiastic ‘pacesetter’ to help deliver our objectives.
You will be at the centre of our efforts to create an active, attractive, accessible, healthy and sustainable transport network for Royal Greenwich.
You will be responsible for shaping the Royal Borough’s approach to active travel and sponsoring a range of high-profile programmes that deliver it.
- Identifying priorities for encouraging walking and cycling.
- Developing and building the business case for solutions to these priorities.
- Producing strategies for key transport issues and places.
- Acting as sponsor our walking and cycling investment programmes.
- Leading the development of funding bids, feasibility work and engagement on transformational transport projects.
- Providing leadership to the people working with you.
We are looking for someone experienced in:
- Developing transport policies, strategies, programmes and feasibility studies.
- Developing attractive walking and cycling environments, using Healthy Streets and other best practice methodologies.
- Commissioning and scrutinising technical analyses, forecasts and design proposals.
- Preparing successful bids for external funding.
- Engaging with a wide range of partners and stakeholders: working collaboratively with other bodies; and representing an organisation in formal settings.
- Delivering successful and meaningful consultations.
- Analysing complex data and communicating your conclusions to different audiences (in writing and in person).
The job description and person specification for the role are attached.
To discuss the role please contact Ryan Bunce, Transport Strategy Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.
All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated
Each application is scored according to how well the supporting statement addresses each point on the Person Specification for the role. Candidates will be short-listed for interview on the extent to which they meet the specific points within the Person Specification. The Person Specification is supplied with the job advert. When completing your application, please use the supporting statement section to tell us how you meet each of the points on the Person Specification. We need to have this information in order to consider your application. If you have a disability and are unable to meet some of the job requirements specifically because of your disability, please address this in your application. If you meet all the other criteria, you will be shortlisted and we will explore jointly with you if there are ways in which the job can be changed to enable you to meet the requirements.