Highway Improvements Officer
Via currently has fantastic opportunity to join our Major Projects and Improvements Team as a Highway Improvements Officer based at our Trent Bridge House office. The successful candidate will delivery highway improvement schemes and provide specialist traffic order advice which enhance and maintain the road network and meet company business plan objectives.
Main responsibilities include:
1. Design and manage the delivery of highway improvement projects of varying complexity to achieve quality, programme and financial targets which meet customer and stakeholder requirements.
2. Be responsible for the consultation of traffic order on behalf of clients to ensure that the legal process is followed correctly, and that effective consultation has been undertaken.
3. Investigate objections and enquiries relating to traffic regulation orders received from colleagues, key stakeholders and politicians making recommendations that take a balance view of all ensuring implementation of statutory duties and maintenance of Via’s reputation.
4. Provide specialist design and technical advice in the area of permanent traffic regulation orders highway signage and lining for internal and external clients and external bodies to support delivery of complex and large-scale projects across the organisation and as a standalone service.
5. Check and advice on externally designed engineering schemes relating to traffic orders, traffic signing and carriageway lining on behalf of internal and external clients to ensure the highway network asset meets regional and national design specification and safety standards.
6. Collaborate with the company’s construction and commercial division to maintain workflow thereby supporting achievement of company business plan objectives for productivity and profit across design and build functions.
7. Ensure adherence to Health and Safety management systems, processes and requirements ensuring full compliance to health, safety and environmental legislation, policy and best practice and safeguarding staff contractors and members of the public.
8. Act as an ambassador for individual schemes and the company across professional, business and community events and networks at local and regional levels.
The ideal candidate will have:
1. A HNC or NVQ level 4 in Civil Engineering or a related subject and post qualification relevant experience or equivalent knowledge gained through practical experience in a highway and/or traffic design environment.
2. Strong ICT skills including competence in specialist computer applications used to support sign and lining design activities including working knowledge of current computer aided design software (AutoCAD) and knowledge of data management environments.
3. Working knowledge of current design guidelines and standards particularly relating to traffic signing and carriageway lining and other highway features including pedestrian crossings and traffic calming.
4. Working knowledge of current legislation relating to the design and implementation of permanent traffic regulation orders and related statutory processes.
5. Knowledge of health and safety, technical, traffic management and other legislation and good practice appropriate to highway and civil engineering construction and maintenance activities.
6. Experience of providing information (including as formal reports) communicating and working collaboratively with internal and external customers, stakeholders and colleagues to achieve delivery objectives.
7. Experience of managing project budgets and financial reporting of project programme.
We are a major employer in Nottinghamshire with a multi-skilled local workforce and a range of highly trained staff based at a number of different locations throughout the county.
Our roles include highway maintenance, electrical works, mechanics, construction, forestry, road safety, civil engineering and much more. We combine a public-sector service ethos with a strong commercial focus, and we are passionate about innovation and creating and delivering sustainable solutions safely across Nottinghamshire and the wider East Midlands.
Via’s a great place to work if you value work-life balance. Our employees enjoy generous annual leave allowances, with flexible working available to our office-based staff. With the majority of our work being based in the East Midlands, our front-line staff also enjoy short journeys to site each working day
Our staff get access to a wide range of benefits. These include an excellent pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, buying and selling of annual leave and much more
By joining us you will be part of a growing organisation with great staff benefits that positively embraces customer and community aspirations.
To apply for this role, please send your CV to Via.HR@viaem.co.uk by Friday 9th October 2020.