French Speaking Project Manager
***Please note this a fixed term contract from September 2020 to June 2023***
This position will be working 2 days a week as the project manager on behalf of the project partners and 3 days a week as project manager for ECC.
French speaking is desirable.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
This role is accountable for managing projects which make a contribution to the delivery of ECC's strategic aims. The Project Manager is responsible for driving and overseeing the delivery of BLUEPRINT to a Circular Economy project funded by Interreg VA France (Channel) England Programme to ensure project objectives are clearly defined and can be delivered within the agreed timelines.
As an exemplary and experienced manager familiar with working in a complex project environment this role is key in ensuring a robust project infrastructure is in place underpinned by governance and assurance processes. Influencing and working with senior stakeholders to ensure agreed project outputs are delivered to enable benefits to be realised.
* Responsible for managing a European funded project, which contributes to ECC's strategic aims, to deliver agreed outcomes within time and cost constraints.
* Responsible for undertaking day to day management of both the project and the project team, including ensuring delivery by project partners.
* Responsible for developing and monitoring the project progress to ensure this stays within the agreed budget. Set out resource requirements in order to be prioritised by the Portfolio/Programme Manager.
* Responsible for managing, leading and motivating a team and ensuring current capability is matched against project requirements. This incorporates support and coaching for individuals and the team, as appropriate, in order to develop a high performing team.
* Responsible for ensuring agreement with customers of quantified benefits to be realised & metrics required to monitor impact. Designing and actively managing the project plan to ensure the outcomes are achieved.
* Responsible for highlighting project risks and issues and ways in which these can be mitigated and escalated as appropriate.
* Responsible for ensuring effective Change Management processes are in place and changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders are documented.
* Responsible for ensuring an effective governance and assurance framework is in place to support decision making and ensure regular reporting on progress through pro-active engagement with project sponsors. Work collaboratively with and manage internal stakeholder relationships together with external partners.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Experience / Qualifications* Educated to degree level or equivalent by extensive experience.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area, such as, AMP practitioner or Prince 2.
* Evidence of having successfully completed several projects and experienced contributing to a range of other projects and/or programmes.
* Experience of working with a diverse range of individuals at different levels within a complex organisation and engaging with them, finding ways to overcome obstacles.
* Experience of working within a political environment with knowledge of a public sector setting and involvement in a large, complex environment.
* Experience of managing European funded projects.
* Good management skills in leading and managing a team and evidence of developing others.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.