Assistant Engineer - Grade 2
1 day left
- Contract Type
- Full time
Assistant Engineer (Structures) - Band 6 (SCP 18-23)
Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across one of the largest counties in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate.
For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working
The primary purpose of Highways & Technical Services is to manage, maintain and improve infrastructure, including highways, flood defences and the coast, for the benefit of those who choose to live, work, visit and invest in Northumberland.
Highways & Technical Services is responsible for the provision of three key functions across Northumberland. We manage, maintain and improve the highway and transport network, to make sure that everyone can travel safely and without significant delay or disruption on our roads, footways and cycleways.
The primary function of the Structures Design Team is the design, project management and delivery of our own construction and maintenance schemes for highway structures and those for external clients. With an annual LTP budget of £18M, internal schemes range from the design of major new highway bridges and structures to the strengthening and refurbishment of existing bridges. We manage and design solutions for unstable slopes and retaining structures and engineered slopes. Some recent and ongoing projects include the £30m Morpeth Northern Bypass, the £7m Union Chain Bridge and the £9m Crag End Landslip.
We are offering an opportunity to be exposed to a wide range of experience that will get your career off to a fantastic start or get it onto the right track.
We are looking for candidates to fill the post of Assistant Engineer. As part of a muli-disciplinary team, reporting to a Senior Structures Engineer you will be involved in:
- Designing new highway structures and major bridge strengthening and refurbishment schemes.
- Preparation of detailed design calculations to British Standards, Eurocodes and relevant design guidance notes.
- Production of technical reports and Feasibility studies.
- Design calculations in 3D software packages.
- Responding to client requests for information.
- Day-to-day support to colleagues from other disciplines within the office.
- Attend team meetings with both internal and external disciplines.
- Site measurements, surveys and inspections.
- Preparing drawings and specifications
- Preparing Pre Construction Information
We are offering:
- A starting salary between £24,313 and £26,999
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Flexible working
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
Permanent, full time based at County Hall, Morpeth
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- Engineering Degree. HNC, Eng. Tech Civil or structural engineering
- Experience in assisting the design and delivery of highway related construction projects
For further information about this vacancy, please contact Patrick Smith (tel. 01670 622961 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) for an informal discussion.
Closing date for applications is midnight on 22nd September 2020If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to attend an interview please email email@example.com.