- Contract Type
- Full time
Are you an experienced traffic or highway engineer with a good track record in the delivery of traffic, public realm and/or parking schemes?
We have an exciting opportunity for permanent Senior Engineers within the traffic and engineering division responsible for the management, and delivery of highway engineering services and schemes, including traffic and parking schemes.
The role is a good stepping stone for someone who has experience in an engineering role and who would like to make the next step to a more senior position, managing more junior engineering and/or administrative staff. You will be working in a stimulating and worthwhile role within a hardworking and supportive environment, based in Richmond Council’s offices in Twickenham, London.
The purpose of the role:
You will be managing a small team designing and supervising a wide range of highway schemes from; minor yellow line parking adjustments, to traffic calming, road safety, and major town centre public realm schemes. You will also be responsible for carrying out consultation exercises and liaising with key stakeholders such as Councillors and other authorities.
- Ensure all Member queries about service delivery are dealt with promptly and effectively.
- Provide operational and motivational leadership for staff, and promote a good working environment with the primary aim of delivering high quality services.
- Advise and support senior managers on relevant service and operational matters.
- Assist as required with the management of budgets, including ensuring that all necessary processes and procedures are carried out in a timely and effective way.
- To support ways of working that ensure residents and stakeholders are actively engaged in the future of the function and are able to influence decision making.
- Sound highway and traffic technical engineering knowledge.
- Experience in the delivery of traffic and highway engineering schemes.
- Proficient use of AUTOCAD and associated software packages.
- You may have a degree or HNC/HND in engineering or an associated subject.
- Good IT skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write complex reports such as for Committee or consultation purposes.
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure in a busy and demanding environment.
- The ability to manage projects working closely with other members of the team and other stakeholders.
Please review the attached Job Profile for the full details on this varied role.
Why choose us?
We can offer you working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance, including a generous holiday allowance of 31 days plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments. A wide range of developmental opportunities is also offered.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 17th November 2019
Shortlisting Date: Friday 22nd November 2019
Interview Date: Monday 2nd December 2019
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.