Environmental Protection Officer
6 days left
- Contract Type
This is a fixed term contract until March 2020.
Sandwell’s Environmental Protection Team provides a Borough-wide service patrolling Sandwell and providing a visible service to detect, prevent and deter crime and anti-social behaviour.
As an important front-line service working alongside a range of partner organisations, we are looking to recruit officers to further strengthen our pool of Environmental Protection Officers who are responsible for a range of different functions within the service.
- Working within an enforcement environment that can often become confrontational, implementing a range of civil and criminal legislation that includes the issuing of fixed penalty notices for offences covered under the public space protection order, The Environmental Protection Act, Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act and the Anti-social Behaviour Crime and Police Act.
- Conducting high visibility patrols to detect, prevent and deter crime, anti-social behaviour and to offer reassurance to the residents, businesses and visitors of Sandwell.
- Working as a member of a well-established team being flexible in their approach, dealing with numerous problems and incidents across the borough working within a multi-agency environment where we would often be the lead service.
- Investigating untaxed and abandoned vehicles using devolved powers to seize vehicles and remove them from the streets of Sandwell.
- To liaise with partner agencies and other service areas such as the Police, Fire Service, contractors, anti-social behaviour team, Social Services, rough sleeper team and housing (to name but a few), in order to offer the best service possible.
- To gather, collate and present evidence in order to help a range of different services and organisations to take appropriate action in dealing with a specific issue, e.g Criminal Behaviour Order, Community Protection Warning, Community Protection Notice, injunctions, etc.
- Investigate reports of anti-social behaviour, record the findings and initiate the appropriate action within the Environmental protection team operating standards.
- Investigate community issues and identify the appropriate service provider who would be best placed in providing a solution.
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
The service covers all locations across the borough and operates from a central building in Oldbury.
37 hours per week - The service operates 7 days a week and successful candidates will be required to work on a rota basis of 4 shifts on / 4 shifts off. Shifts are also split between early shifts (08.00 – 18.00) and late shifts (12.00 – 22.00).
This vacancy and advert will be closed as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible.