Group Engineer (Highway Design)
Are you an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to improve the lives of the local people of Huddersfield, Dewsbury and the surrounding areas? We are looking for a Group Engineer to work as part of our Highway Design team here at Kirklees Council.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements, upgrade of utility networks including major investment in fibre, as well as new homes and businesses.
Highway Design are responsible for the design and development and delivery of Highway schemes across Kirklees. These are schemes developed from the planning process, from accident analysis, asset management requirements or major transportation infrastructure improvements, but all of these involve works on the adopted highway or construction of highway related infrastructure.
We are looking for a Group Engineer who already has:
- An appropriate professional or academic qualification which related to the skills and abilities required for the post or the ability to demonstrate significant experience
- Proven experience and knowledge of budget preparation and financial management and control
- Experience of providing effective leadership alongside team management and development
- A full and valid driving licence and the ability to travel between sites
As Group Engineer, your key responsibilities and duties will consist of:
- Supervise and mentor others in, the detail design of a range of highway schemes, for which you will need experience in highway design and management, CDM and Health and Safety Regulations
- Support and advise your teams as they analyse and monitor data from a variety of sources and from that design schemes to address safety, asset management and Transportation issues, as well as working with developers, and highway consultants, on the detail design of highway schemes
- Supervise others in the preparation of works packages, estimates, bills of quantities, contract drawings and documentation, and supervision of the highway schemes they are involved in
- Work within the Design team to deliver schemes generated from: Maintenance, Safety, agreements made Section 38, 278 or 106 of the Highways Act, Major Schemes, and / or West Yorkshire Transport fund initiatives
- Manage and monitor Capital Plan expenditure including preparation of Cabinet reports and expenditure updates for Capital monitoring to support Operational Managers with the over finance management of the Highways Capital budget
- Undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular, Principal Designer/Designer
- Undertake and support Principal Engineer’s in project management, including preparation of technical and financial reports to ensure all schemes are appropriately approved and authorised for construction and managing budgets
- Liaise with, and advise, various Council departments, partners, and 3rd parties on design issues understand the need for a high level of effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal
- Monitor and ensure compliance with required procedures; review, propose and implement revised and new procedures
- Lead on the delivery of key changes within the service
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the supervision of Engineers, Senior Engineer, Principal Engineers, Apprentices and Support staff within in your team, including undertaking and supporting others to do, appraisals, 1-2-1’s etc.
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose.
We value the importance of having work life balance, so this is why we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies, employee healthcare services and a childcare voucher scheme.
If you are interested in what we are offering, and have the skills we are looking for, have a look at the attached job profile for more information. To apply please go to Total Jobs and upload your CV.