Environment and Low Carbon Work Package Manager
- Contract Type
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council - including our vision for a sustainable environment for the residents of Essex. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Essex is committed to enabling inclusive economic growth, helping people get the best start and age well, helping create great places to grow up, live and work and transforming the Council to achieve more with less.
Our vision for a sustainable environment is that ECC will work with staff, partners, businesses and communities to reduce carbon, energy and waste and increase its green infrastructure so that in 15 years we have transformed Essex into a place that is harnessing the benefits of a sustainable green economy.
The Low Carbon Across the South East (LoCASE) 2 project is a partnership bid across the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) to the value of £13.97M with Essex County Council, Kent County Council, Thurrock Council, Southend Borough Council, East Sussex County Council and University of Brighton, part funded by the European Structural Investment Funds (ESIF).
The Environment and Low Carbon Work Package Manager is responsible for ensuring the success of the LoCASE 2 project, with the aims to support Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) across the SELEP region to lower carbon emissions and improve energy efficiency through targeted business support and grants and by delivering significant carbon reductions through energy efficiency improvement across ECC's public buildings including our offices, schools, libraries and wider estate.
The Environment and Low Carbon Work Package Manager will lead a small team and be responsible for delivering the programme and outputs as well as lead the work package on public estate improvements across the partnership.
Further to this the role will support delivery of the wider Waste and Environment team's sustainable environment programme working across the low carbon, energy and environment agendas to reach our sustainability visions for the council.
* Accountable for the management and delivery of the Council's commitments to the LoCASE 2 project, including budgets (£1.37m) and monitoring progress.
* Represent ECC with senior internal and external stakeholders, including Grants awarding panel and Steering group meetings
* Manage commitments across the whole partnership as work package lead for energy efficiency improvements to public sector buildings, ensuring all partners deliver against required programme outputs and claim these outputs for the partnership.
* Manage internal staff involved in LoCASE 2 to deliver the business audit visits and claims processes successfully and efficiently.
* Reporting to Head of Commercial Delivery, Waste and Environment on programme delivery.
* Responsible for the commission of projects works, monitor activity and spend all in accordance with European Union (EU) and ECC rules and regulations (procurements, output claiming etc.) to ensure that overall project objectives are met.
* Develop and maintain partnerships across the Business Essex, Southend & Thurrock (BEST) Growth Hub area, the wider SELEP region and across the UK on low carbon economy and business engagement initiatives. Incorporating learning outcomes and best practice in the project.
* Contribute to the achievement of desired impact and outputs of the LoCASE 2 project across the BEST Growth Hub area, promoting this through networking events and workshops.
* Manage and liaise with internal teams within ECC responsible for delivering capital programs in our schools and buildings to deliver the successful public sector works, maintaining the budgets and energy efficiency improvements.
* Responsible for regular briefings to Head of Service's and cabinet members, reporting cost, energy and emission savings as well as case studies and promotional opportunities.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework
* Support the wider project work of the Commercial Development team, helping to progress and deliver our environmental and low carbon business priorities. Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Deep knowledge and understanding of the Low Carbon policy agenda and environmental initiatives, locally, nationally and in Europe, particularly in respect of energy efficiency, business engagement and support.
* Good understanding of Low Carbon Technologies/Renewable opportunities, philosophy and methodology, with an ability to translate into programmes of work.
* Demonstrated ability to deliver complex programmes to time and on budget. Proven track record of managing budgets of a similar size (£1.37m) and complexity as well as strong project management skills.
* Ability to build strong working relationships with partners which are collaborative and influential, leading to achievement of joint objectives, ideally, but not necessarily, working within local government and a political environment.