Chartered Environmental Health Traineeships– 3 Jobs
Fixed Term for 24 months and will not include the payment of any professional fees
The hours of work are usually Monday – Friday but you will be required to work weekends during the months of April to September only, on a rota basis as either a night time noise team member or call handler (Friday and Saturdays 9:00pm until 6:00am the following day).
We are offering a unique chance to three graduates who already hold a CIEH accredited BSc or MSc Degree in Environmental Health (minimum of level 6 CIEH recognised qualification) to gain experience of working within the Environmental Health function, including Pollution and Noise Control, Food Safety and Advice, Pest Control, Health and Safety, Public Health and Private Sector Housing.
This traineeship opportunity is for graduates to undertake the new Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) 2 year Chartered Practitioner Programme in order to fully qualify as a Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner.
More details of the CIEH programme here: https://www.cieh.org/media/2184/cehp-programme_specification.pdf
Note: To undertake this programme you will need to be a member of the CIEH.
To be able to enrol on this programme for 2019 to 2021, you must be able to apply (and pay the £1150) fee to the CIEH and submit your application by Thursday 12 September 2019. You will only be able to do this if you have been successful in applying for one of these positions as we need to complete the “statement of employer support” section of the form. It is a requirement of the programme that you are working in an Environmental Health setting.
During your two years with us you will:
- Gain experience of a range of Environmental Health duties to enable you to complete the Application and Professionalism Blocks of the Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner Programme.
- Work in different Environmental Health Departments in order to undertake all the workplace activities aligned to competencies from the CIEH Professional Standards Framework.
- Undertake a workplace project, assigned by your mentor (who will be an experienced Environmental Health Officer) to be managed by yourself (this is another CIEH Application Block requirement)
- In your second year, complete the CIEH Professionalism Block, where you will be responsible for planning your own development in order to acquire the relevant credits in line with CIEH Professional Standards
- Under the guidance of an Environmental Health Officer be required to provide support to the Night Time Noise Service which will include working “out of hours” some nights on a rota (April to September only) throughout the contract.
- You will also work closely with colleagues in the food safety team; assisting with inspections, complaint investigation and sampling
Travel is an essential part of this job and therefore it would be difficult for you to do your job effectively if you did not use a car for all or most of the time. It is preferable that you hold a full and valid driving licence, but we will still consider applicants on a case by case basis if not. If you have queries please contact the Recruiting Manager.
You will be required to undertake a medical examination and any other medical screening appropriate to occupational risk.
In order to be shortlisted for this job please complete the attached Shortlisting Questionnaire. CV’s will not be accepted.