Senior Bridge Technician
37 hours per week
Salary: £21,074 - £23,866 per annum
Somerset County Council is responsible for the management and maintenance of the County’s Highway bridge, culvert and retaining wall stock which stands at over 2500 structures. This stock contains a wide variety of asset types in respect of their form, construction, material, span and location. There are a significant number of masonry arches and simply supported reinforced concrete slabs as well as retaining walls of different construction forms and, of course, large multi-span structures, all located in both rural and urban areas. The oldest asset is Tarr Steps a 17 span Clapper Bridge reportedly dating back to prehistoric times located on Exmoor. We also have a bascule bridge, many swing bridges, footbridges, fords, railway, road and watercourse structures in our diverse stock. A vacancy has arisen for a Senior Bridge Technician within this team which is based in Taunton.
About the job
The role primarily includes the following activities
- Carrying out/assisting with inspections & reporting
- Initiate deliver & supervise minor routine bridge maintenance schemes
- Liaison with statutory bodies, affected parties, consultants & contractors
- Act as a point of contact for public, parish, district councils
- Support senior members of the team with preparation of reports, schedules, calculations, costings, presentations etc.
- Assist with rationalisation of asset management data
You will be self-motivated, committed and enthusiastic with good standards of numeracy and ICT capability. You should also be self-motivated and happy to use your own initiative. As well as having a methodical and conscientious approach to work. Will be able to remain calm in difficult or uncertain situations and be a team player. Experience in technical/engineering would be advantageous.
As a key member of the group you will be expected to promote the image of the County Council and embrace a culture of customer care to ensure successful delivery of a quality service in Somerset
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Paul Tucker on 07824 460548.
What we’ll offer in return
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Please note if an internal applicant who is at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment has applied for this role and passed the selection process they will be offered the role over remaining internal and external applicants.
Job Ref: APP00320AMB
Closing date: 21 March 2019