Technical Lead Officer Projects and Studies
Somerset has an ambitious growth agenda; it is home to the Hinkley Point C national infrastructure project, planned development in all of our main settlements and strong connections with neighbouring authority areas. These challenges make it an exciting time to join Somerset. Having been successful in securing funding in recent years the Transport Policy team is now focused on developing and delivering an ambitious pipeline of schemes that provides advanced solutions for the digital age.
About the job
This is an excellent opportunity to join a successful and innovative team of transport planners where you will play a key role in shaping the future development of Somerset’s transport infrastructure. The Transport Policy team identifies, develops and commissions the delivery of transport schemes to meet the objectives of the County Council’s Future Transport Plan, the development plans of local planning authorities and the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership’s Strategic Economic Plan. Working in partnership the team has secured funding for transport improvements across a wide range of modes of travel. The successful applicant can expect a varied and challenging workload. You will play a leading role in the developing and delivering funding bids. You will work with partners on improvements that benefit our communities and deliver growth. You will manage the identification, design and development of multi-modal solutions to transport challenges. You will also project manage individual transport schemes from their inception through to delivery. An interest in sustainable transport would be beneficial.
To be successful in this role you will need to be motivated, creative and have good organisational skills. You will need excellent analytical skills in order to interpret transport data. You will use this information to develop a detailed understanding of transport problems and to identify policy, infrastructure and non-engineered solutions. We work closely with a wide range of internal teams, partners, consultants, local representatives and the public. You will need to have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and be used to providing technical information to varied audiences. You will need to represent the authority at public meetings and consultation events. You should be educated to degree level or equivalent and previous experience in transport planning is desirable, we would consider an enthusiastic and motivated. A working knowledge of the strategic planning processes and project management experience would be beneficial.
This post is advertised on a full time basis, applications from candidates seeking flexible or part-time working arrangements will be considered.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Sunita Mills on 01823 359763 or 07977 412526 or MikeO'Dowd Jones on 07977 412097.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. We offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees including:
- A Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Discounted lease car via salary sacrifice scheme and options for discounts on petrol or diesel.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and so forth.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, childcare vouchers, additional annual leave, computers, mobile phones and health screening.
- Generous annual leave and flexible working arrangements.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle.
- Optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
Somerset County Council must ensure that each person who works for the public authority in a customer-facing role can speak fluent English. This post is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English is an essential requirement for the role.
Closing date: 26 May 2018
More searches like this
- Environment Team Leader £30,000 - £39,999 Full time jobs in Taunton
- Highways Team Leader £30,000 - £39,999 Full time jobs in Taunton
- Sustainability Team Leader £30,000 - £39,999 Full time jobs in Taunton
- Traffic Management Team Leader £30,000 - £39,999 Full time jobs in Taunton
- Transport Planning Team Leader £30,000 - £39,999 Full time jobs in Taunton